1 cup spectrum organic non hydrogenated shortening or earth balance vegan baking sticks
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1 teaspoon xanthum gum (if flour blend does not contain xanthum gum)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- To measure the shortening and earth balance, I put one tablespoon of earth balance in a one cup measuring cup and then fill the rest with earth balance until it is a level cup.
- Combine shortening/earth balance with sugar and egg, egg white, vanilla extract and salt. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir together until combined. You can do this in a mixer or by hand.
- Flatten into a 1 inch thick round shape. Cover with plastic and refrigerate.
- Grease a tart pan with with spectrum shortening. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough after it has hardened a little between two pieces of parchment paper until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Refrigerate for a few minutes if necessary so that the dough is not too soft. It must be soft enough to bend a little when you turn it into the tart pan—but you want it hard enough so that it doesn’t stick to the parchment.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and turn the rolled out dough into the tart pan.
- Remove the second parchment paper and press into the tart pan so that it is even all around. The sides should be 1/4 inch thick.
- Peel, core and slice 4 apples.
- Arrange apples in circular pattern on top of crust starting with the outer circle first. Then do a smaller circle until the entire crust is covered with apples.
- Dot with spectrum shortening and put in the oven for 45 minutes until crust is nicely browned on the edges and apples are well cooked.